Millennium Point opened on time and within budget on 29 September 2001 and was officially opened by Her Majesty the Queen on 2 July 2002. It is England’s largest landmark Millennium Project outside London and, since opening, has welcomed more than 1 million people through its doors each year.
Millennium Point is a huge and inspiring building that incorporates two popular visitor attractions, national educational centres and commercial office tenants from the government and private sectors.
It was designed by architects Nicholas Grimshaw and Partners and built at a cost of £114 million, including £50 million of Millennium Commission lottery funding and £25.6 million from the European Regional Development Fund.
Millennium Point’s mission, as signed off by the Millennium and Charity Commissions in 1999, is to:
- Provide a focus for activities aimed at developing the technological base of the region and providing a catalyst for the continued regeneration of Birmingham
- To provide a major visitor attraction on science and technology themes
- To provide a central facility for the Academy of Youth/University of the First Age learning initiative
- To act as a beacon for technological development both by its design and linkages between the key elements
- To provide a high quality social space for residents of the region and visitors, creating a new focus of activity for the continued regeneration of the city centre.
The project has regenerated a 12 acre inner city brownfield site, and paves the way for further development in the Eastside Learning Quarter. The project provided employment for 3800 people during construction and Millennium Point is now the place of work for over 1000 people.
Millennium Point’s vision is to provide a world-class centre for science, technology and learning to provide opportunities for the people of Birmingham and the West Midlands region to participate in and discover technology through formal and informal learning.
Millennium Point has three partners – Birmingham City Council, Birmingham City University and Birmingham Chamber of Commerce and Industry.
Millennium Point is owned by Millennium Point Trust, a charitable body, and managed by its operational division, Millennium Point Property Limited.